
Several years ago I probably wouldn't have even thought to celebrate Passover, a traditional Jewish holiday. And just a couple years ago we were able to celebrate a Christian Sedar meal with our church in Germany. Well, yesterday I had the opportunity to celebrate it with my cousins, Jodi (a messianic Jew) and Joey. This was doubly special because it was celebrating a very special holiday with my very own family. I'm so proud of Jodi (my new cousin through marriage). This was a big occasion for her because it was the first time she openly celebrated such an important Jewish holy day with her mother and grandmother (who suffered through the holocaust) and family as a Christian and very openly explained her new faith in Jesus Christ.
How very touching it was for me to have been there and have been a part of that. I took it all in. The Passover is celebrated as commanded in Exodus: You shall keep the feast of Unleavened Bread, for on this day I brought your companies out of the land of Egypt. You shall observe this day throughout the generations as a practice for all times. [Exodus 12:17]
The term Passover refers to the tenth and final plague God brought upon the Egyptians to persuade Pharaoh to let the people go, the death of all the firstborn of Egypt. In obedience to God’s instructions, those who believed placed the blood of a lamb on the door posts of their homes, so that God would "pass over" those homes. The festival actually celebrates the entire sequence of events that led to the Israelites’ freedom from slavery. While thoroughly based in those historical events, the celebration encompasses much more as it becomes a vehicle to celebrate the very nature of God and His gracious work in the world. It is in this larger dimension that Jesus adopted the Passover service as a sacramental remembrance of God’s new work of deliverance in the Christ, and allows Christians to celebrate this ancient festival. More on Passover here...
This was our family's first time celebrating a Passover together, and I think it meant as much to us as it probably meant to the Jews. Jesus celebrated the Passover with the 12 apostles on the night he was betrayed. As Christians we believe that Jesus was that Passover lamb. He was slain so that we may not die. Just like the those who painted the thresholds of their homes with the blood of the lamb so that death would literally "pass over" them- so too do we have redemption through His blood- the forgiveness of sins. And we are saved from a much worse death, and eternal one. But I must add- it's not automatic.
Jesus says "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven." We must be truly repentant and willing to turn from our sin- and turn to Him. He alone can save us. If you're asking yourself "save me from what? I'm a pretty good person." Well, how good is our version of "good?" Are we just better than the next guy? Ask yourself this: Have I broken one of God's commandments? Do not have other gods or idols {have you ever put someone before God- is he first on your list?} Have you ever told a lie? Have you ever stolen something? Have you ever killed- Jesus said if you've ever even hated someone in your heart you are guilty of murder. Have you committed adultery? Jesus said if you've lusted after someone you're already guilty of adultery. You see not one person is innocent. All of us have broken God's commandments regardless of how small we may think they are- to God we still have broken the law. So what does a just God do when someone's broken the law-- he has to be what his whole nature is JUST. If we were put on trial before God would we be found innocent or guilty? I know I would be guilty. Would you go to heaven or hell? What's the verdict?
Just picture this: You're on trial, you're obviously guilty (as all of us are). And you are hell-bound, you have earned your one-way ticket and there is absolutely nothing you can do. Scary thought, huh? The judge sets a fine for you,which is something you can not pay. All of sudden a man appears in the court room and he says he's paid your fine. It is completely taken care of. That's exactly what Jesus Christ did for us. He paid our fine. What was the requirement? PERFECTION- a sinless, spotless lamb, sacrificed and tortured like the worst of criminals. Only He could do it. And He did it for you. How would you feel toward a man who can save your life. I say "can" because you (I) have to make a choice- you see we're not robots or puppets, we have the freedom to choose. Do you choose Him? Do you choose the Creator of your life? He wants you to choose Him but he cannot force you. It's scary to recognize that we're not as good as we thought we were. If we put our "good" to God's standard we all fall very short. We missed the mark a long time ago. Only He is good. He's so good and "loved us so much that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
I hope that if you are reading this for the first time you make the decision I am hoping for, and that you choose life. Tomorrow may never come. And remember everyone has already made a choice- Jesus or Satan, Life or Death. You can't have both, and you can't ride the fence. I pray that today will be the day you start to live.

1 comment:
Glad to hear that celebrating the Christian Passover went so well! And, what a neat experience to share in that with a new believer, in fact, a Messianic Jew! (and, I'm sure they all loved the brownies, too!...*smiles*)
Post a Comment