Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fishing

Yesterday Jeremy and I got to enjoy a great day fishing with our friend Michael. He has a boat and loves fishing, and invited Jeremy to go with him. I hadn't thought of going since I think fishing is boring (or thought). But Michael invited me and Jeremy insisted. So we all met at the boat ramp at 8am and headed off. What's so cool is that Michael has an actual "fishing boat". He has places for his fishing rods and his live bait, and for the bait to take home. He has all kinds of fishing poles and tackle. And the funnest part was that when an area wasn't so popular by the fish- we'd just pick up and move!

So Michael and Jeremy both coached me in fishing, and although I would not hook the poor little shrimp onto my hook, I would cast it (I learned how to cast!) and I actually caught fish! So what did I catch you ask? Well, I caught a red snapper, that was too little to keep, several spotted sea trout (only one of which we could keep) and a shark! I actually hooked on to a very feisty fish- it was probably the most exciting fishing experience yet. When all of a sudden it starts to show through the water, and it was a shark! At first thought it was a hammer head, but I was told it was a Bonnet-head shark. This was in about 4 feet of water (but further out from shore) and he was about 4 feet long. I couldn't believe it- it was scary... the shark would swim around the boat while fighting me, so I finally gave it to Jeremy, because I was too scared to cut him loose myself. So to sum up: I caught the smallest fish, a shark, and the only keeper to take home!

What a cool day. And on top of everything we got to tour the islands around here, Sanibel, Captiva, Pine Island, Boca Grande, and even NW parts of Cape Coral (man what a huge city!). We saw all kinds of wild life including all kinds of birds (pelicans, comerans, seahawks, seagulls), dolphins, rays, and of course all kinds of fish. Thanks Michael for changing my mind about fishing!

No comments: