But so many people like it. My sister-in-law Lisa loves it. Every time she comes down she wants to have sushi. Even when she was pregnant she wanted it, but had to have the cooked versions. My other sister-in-law Keely likes it too. So this week we went to a Japanese and Korean restaurant that serves sushi as well, called Origami. I was happy that we were at least able to order something besides sushi to eat (as most of you know I'm not huge on Asian food, but I'm trying!)
I was determined to be open minded and try some of the sushi (rolls? what do you call an individual piece?) Keely was nice enough to order a lobster sushi for everyone, and it wasn't bad. But the one thing I didn't like is that the pieces are so big, in my opinion, that your entire mouth is completely full of food, and all the flavors almost overwhelm as opposed to lightly hitting your taste buds. I guess that's different than they way I was raised- "never bite off more than you can chew." But this food is just a fairly new concept- so it must be embraced as it is- right?

Anyway, I did like the flavor the most of the "volcano roll" with the exception of the very seaweedy taste. :) I was grateful for the patience of my sisters, they were sweet allowing me to try their food to see if I could find something I liked. I definitely have more of an idea of what I do like now. Of course it still isn't my favorite. I could never replace a warm dish of, say. . . a dover sole menieure with roasted vegetables and sweet potato puree, or a juicy steak, or even some Spanish tapas. But the experience in all was definitely fun. They definitley had some laughs at my expense, mostly of the faces I would make in the process of trying. But at least I did try!

1 comment:
I can SO see your face in my mind, just thinking about you trying to eat sushi...*grins* You and your funny avoidance of everything Oriental...*grins* You're such a "texture" eater, Pamela...*smiles* I'm glad you ventured out and tried something new, though...wish I could've been there to watch you do it! :)
Post a Comment